Thursday, April 14, 2011

Surprise!

Today we had a going away party for one of my good friends at work, Sunny.  Unfortunately for us, she's moving across the country to our Seattle office.  It's kind of weird because we won't really see her anymore, but she'll still be working in our department.  I had a meeting during her going away party and couldn't go. What poor meeting scheduling!

So in my stead, I made cupcakes for the party! I decided to bake them kind of last minute, so I went with a box cake mix.  To make it a little more special, I decided to fill each cupcake with a delicious marshmallow creme filling! Then, I made a chocolate glaze to cover up the top and hide the filling.  This is a great way to spice up a basic box cake and make something delicious!  Recipe after the jump.
Filled with creme prior to frosting.

Marshmallow Creme Filling
from Sweet Pea's Kitchen

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
¾ cup Marshmallow Fluff
1 ½ tablespoon heavy cream

Beat all ingredients together until light and smooth.  With a paring knife, cut a circle out of cupcakes (made from a box cake mix and allowed to cool fully).  Transfer marshmallow creme filling into a piping bag or zip lock bag, and fill the cupcakes.  

Chocolate Glaze

1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup heavy cream, more as needed

In a saucepan on low heat, warm heavy cream.  Melt chocolate chips in warm cream, stirring constantly. Once fully melted, add vanilla.  If glaze is too thick, add more heavy cream to achieve a more liquid glaze.  I definitely added more before I got a nice consistency. Once glaze is desired consistency, dip cupcakes in glaze and twist when removing from chocolate. Glaze will firm up as it cools. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Well dang, if I'd known those cupcakes were so special I would've said yes when you offered me one yesterday! Maybe you can make them again for another event sometime. :-)

    ReplyDelete